Saturday 24 September 2016

Indian and Irish moms the same: `Ireland's funniest man' in Delhi

Irish stand-up comedian Jason Byrne's antics proved to be a laugh riot for Delhiites as he performed in the city for the first time



You wouldn't think there'd be much humour in drawing parallels between the Irish and Indians, but that's what Irish stand-up comedian Jason Byrne did when he performed in Delhi this past weekend. Apart from picking on people from the front row and roasting them, which is what the award-winning comedian is famous for, Jason also talked about his time in Delhi and got many laughs for the Indian-Irish comparisons. “Irish moms are very similar to Indian moms. They'll be running around the house chasing you down with a slipper in their hand and eventually beating the hell out of you. Well, I grew up like that,“ he laughed.

He also narrated how he got what was for him an unusual yet funny welcome at the hotel on his arrival. “Let me tell you, I had a very different welcome at the hotel. A woman was standing with a plate that carried flower petals, some red powder and rice. What was that? I didn't know what to do with it, so I picked up some rice and literally started eating them. I thought it was food,“ said Byrne, who at the time was jetlagged and hungry , he said. However, he had something to say about Delhi's weather and traffic conditions as well.“You people have some guts! The road would be brimming with traffic, and you would still have the courage to cross the road and stop right in the middle to let some cars pass, and then carry on with it. There are lanes, people. How do you guys do this?“

`IT WAS ALL VERY IMPROMPTU'
Considering that this was his first visit to India, Byrne seemed to know a great deal about the country. When asked about his knowledge of Delhi and Indian culture, he said that he grasped everything within a week's time. “It was all very impromptu.I noticed little things about the city while travelling in the car here, and incorporated them into my gig. That's the secret, you know. I picked up things about the culture of this city and talked about it in my show, which established a connection between me and the audience. I am glad it turned out well,“ he said.

In his interactive act, Byrne roasted almost everyone sitting in the front row ­ especially one gentleman whom he asked what he did for a living, and his wife, seated next to him, shout ed, “He keeps me happy .“

Byrne continued to make the audience laugh with his take on modern-day relationships, and mother-son and husband-wife relationships. He also talked about Coldplay singer Chris Martin's relationship with his ex-wife Gwyneth Paltrow by doing a before-after divorce act, with Coldplay songs like Fix You playing before the `divorce' and Adventure Of A Lifetime after it.

`I HAD SO MUCH FUN THE WHOLE TIME'
When asked about his views on the Delhi audience, Byrne expressed his amusement at the `constant yet fun' argument between Delhiites and Mumbaikars on who's the best. “I've heard this has been going on for a long time. They (Mumbaikars) say they're better and you say you're the best. I was told after my the best. I was told after my performance in Mumbai that the Delhi audience can be a bit hard.But nothing of that sort happened. The audience was responsive and seemed to have a good time.Everyone I called on the stage was a sport. I had so much fun the whole time,“ said the 44-year-old comedian. The show ended with his trademark segment, in which he called people from the audience to the stage and used them as `props' by making them wear animal masks, follow his lead and make funny noises.

`WILL BE BACK IN DELHI SOON'
After two of his shows got a thumbs-up from the Delhi and Mumbai audiences, Byrne said it would be amazing to plan more shows in the country next time. “I am looking forward to planning more such gigs in Delhi and other cities too. This time was focussed on planting a seed in the cities I per formed in so that people tell their friends and relatives about it. The response was very good and I hope it will be even better next time,“ he added.

`I THOUGHT THERE WAS SOME SORT OF A FESTIVAL IN DELHI!'
After spending a week in India, Byrne was off for his next gig in Dublin. When he was asked about his plans of stay ing in Delhi for a while, since it's al most the festive season, he exclaimed, “What? The festivals are approaching?

On my way here, I saw a place brim ming with people. Some of them were boating while others were in a huge park, eating and having a fun time. Was n't that some kind of a festival today?“ Turns out, the Irishman was at India Gate on a Sunday . We suppose India's even fun nier than he thinks!

(TOI)

No comments:

Post a Comment

POLE-DANCING ROBOTS SHOW OFF THEIR MOVES

Pole-dancing robots built by Briton Giles Walker perform at a Las Vegas gentlemen’s club on Monday. The event was held to coincide with C...